Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Is ADHD contagious?

First the disclaimer: I know ADHD isn't contagious. I also know it is a real disease and this post is not at all meant to poke fun at or belittle anyone. That term is just the best way I can describe the craziness of my mind right now. Now on to my post...

Ever feel like your ADHD students (or personal children) have rubbed off on you? As I prepare my room for the start of school, I feel like my son (who has ADHD) must feel. I go from this project to that project not really finishing much. I put a poster up then get center materials prepped, then organize my files, then...well, you get the picture! At night all I can do is lay in bed thinking of all the things I need to finish before my students return. I assume it is the stress and uncertainty a new year brings, but I better figure out to get a handle on it before the kids start back.

All that said, one of the things I love most about our job is that we get a "do over" each year. We can redecorate, restructure our day, change up our classroom management plans, revamp our lessons. For me, it is this never ending journey toward perfection. Now, I know there is no such thing as a perfect teacher, just as there is no such thing as a perfect person. I do believe, however, that we shouldn't stop trying to become better each year. When I started out I thought teaching would be "same year, different kids.". Oh how wrong was I?!!

I am looking forward to this year, the challenges, the triumphs, and even the hair pulling out moments that I'm sure will happen more than once. Like every year, I have made changes that I hope will provide a wonderful 5th grade experience for each of my students.




-Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment